Sunday, May 23, 2010

Titanium Magnolias


Thanks to Yvonne I participated in a drop in league. I played with her, Beth and Karen. We played Magnolia which is the home of the Children’s Miracle Network Classic on the fall tour of the PGA Tour. Magnolia is a beautiful course, full of nature. We saw about 6 dear, a gator and wild turkeys.

The league gathers on Wednesday’s after work, it’s a 9-hole play with a scramble format. To best describe the scramble format I found the following definition online. “In a scramble, each player tees off on each hole. The best of the tee shots is selected and all players play their second shots from that spot. The better of the second shots is determined, and then all play their third shots from that spot, and so on until the ball is holed. “

Yvonne is a beginner golfer, having just participated in the 4 week clinic where we met; Karen has been playing a while and is very consistent; Beth has been playing off and on for some time but as decided to play more. Yvonne has a great short game, Karen hits them straight, and Beth hits them straight but is hoping to get more distance. I’m more of the risk taker. I have great distance but not consistent with keeping it straight. Magnolia is a long course; I was like a kid in a candy store until I kept losing my candy (balls that went really far and really, really right). I did finally hit one straight about 200 yards.

The scramble format is great opportunity to play and learn at the same time. Because you’re playing the best ball, it builds comrade. You want everyone to hit well because that’s the next spot you’ll be hitting from. We found ourselves coaching and encouraging each other.

Because this format is casual I suggest that you video each other so that you can review your swing technique. Beth and I both forgot to bring our grip coach. A missed opportunity, that won’t happen again.

We had a great time on the course. Sure we were 35 minutes behind pace, we were the last ones in and it was dark. None of this mattered because we had a great time. Oh yeah, we actually made par on a couple holes! Bonus!

No comments: